Gaia is the word for "unity-of-life-processes". The experiment here is to unify the various threads of voice and sense of self together into an undivided unity. Spirituality, economics, politics, science and ordinary life interleaved.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Should I include Dante's Commedia in my top novels?

Should I include Dante's Commedia in my top novels?

For this idea: the wisdom, symettry, historical depth, philosophical profundity, poetic speed and muscle, the rich lode of image and idea. It's a bestseller and a popularisation.

Against the idea: it's another not-novel. It's notoriously difficult to get thru in translation. I have doubts about it's merit as a teacher of bestsellers because it's pilgrimage-style structure is hardly novelistic. It is more a static fresco than a dynamic structure. It is like the sistine chapel.

Hell, Purgatory, and Paradise are all treasures of moral insight and wisdom. But is it useful for this end? I think not.

I will mull it over some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
follow me on Twitter