Gaia is the word for "unity-of-life-processes". The experiment here is to unify the various threads of voice and sense of self together into an undivided unity. Spirituality, economics, politics, science and ordinary life interleaved.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

On the bitchfight on page 57 my novel

So tonight is the first time I have written significantly outside the Focus Plan of my novel Gaia.


It seems remarkable to me that I could've passed 20 thousand words this Wednesday with fairly smooth sailing. But when I got to the portion where a major character makes a major decision without any real drama around it, I could not go on knowing it was not the best way.

There had to be more drama.

So I added a fight. I added bitchery. I added academic bitchery. I added MALE academic bitchery (little known fact: hell hath no fury like a bitchy male academic scorned).

It was not good enough.

I sat down to write Focus Plan for the three to five pages but i made the astonishing discovery (duh) that one cannot just manfucture drama, unless it naturally arises from character and circumstance.

However i discovered that although it is hard to manufacture drama in a story, it is early to manufacture melodrama. And who's gonna know the difference this early stage, hm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
follow me on Twitter