Gaia is the word for "unity-of-life-processes". The experiment here is to unify the various threads of voice and sense of self together into an undivided unity. Spirituality, economics, politics, science and ordinary life interleaved.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Tolstoy, Henry James, Sterne, and finishing War and Peace


I finished the Andrew Bromfield original War and Peace. Took me a month. I lie: a month and a week. And it was didn't like the ending. It was too sudden.

I glanced through the Mauds' translation of War and Peace and found the font unbearably small - like, 9 or 10 points - and these weird transliterations of the Russian place and person names, involving lots of apostrophes above them. Much harder reading than the lovely Bromfield text.

To celebrate the read I bought Henry James' Portrait of A Lady, in the suberb new and inexpensive Viking edition, stunningly typeset on clean white paper with 12 point font and plenty of margin space. And I bought the bargain basement Wordsworth edition of Tristram Shandy, because I had heard it was funny and because Balzac quotes it at the start of his fantasy novel about the magical ass's skin.

I also tried to work out which books are my top ten. It was hard! I needed it to be either collected works or a very very good compedium. But that is another story, for another blog entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
follow me on Twitter